History with UNESCO:
AIBD was established as a UNESCO project in 1977 to implement training related to sustainable development through electronic and new media as required by its members. Therefore, the Institute is responsible for all planning, coordination and implementation of the project. Over the years, AIBD has done frequent collaborations with UNESCO and other UN related bodies. Some of the recent workshops and projects with UNESCO are mentioned below:
- AIBD/UNESCO Research journal on combating disinformation, a 2-year long project launched in 2019.
- AIBD/UNESCO Regional Workshop on ‘Addressing Gender Bias in Media’ held on 27 -29 March 2019 in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia.
- AIBD/UNESCO Regional Workshop on Combating Disinformation / Fake News organised on 11 June 2019 in Siem Reap, Cambodia.
- IPDC talks @ Kuala Lumpur, Benefits and Challenges of Access to Information in Malaysia held on 24 September 2018 in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia.
- AIBD/UNESCO Regional Workshop ‘Connecting in a Crisis’ Radio, Social Media, Natural Disasters & Climate Change held in Kuala Lumpur on November 6 – 9 2017.
- AIBD/IPDC/UNESCO Sub-Regional Workshop on Capacity Building on Safety of Journalists in Central Asian Republics organised on 13 – 15 October 2014 in Almaty, Kazakhstan.
- AIBD/FES/UNESCO Pre-summit workshop on Media Ethics in the Age of Social Media held in Bangkok, Thailand on 28 May 2012.
- AIBD/CBA/UNESCO Seminar on Public Service Broadcasting was organised on 28 May 2012 in Bangkok, Thailand.
- AIBD/UNESCO-Hanoi project – Gender Sensitive Broadcasting executed from 28 – 29 September 2011 in Hanoi, Vietnam.
- AIBD/IPDC/UNESCO/CFI Sub-Regional Workshop on Media and Good Governance organised on 31 October – 4 November 2011 in Almaty, Kazakhstan.
- AIBD/IPDC/UNESCO/CFI Sub-Regional Workshop on Media and Good Governance held on 8 – 12 November 2011 in Dushanbe, Tajikistan.